landgirl

Would this (weblink w/ photo) fencing be any good?

I'm just browsing around at the moment looking at possible fencing options. I have quite a pretty garden and realise I can't keep my chooks on the lawn, but also don't want fencing that draws attention by being a bit of an eyesore. Not ambitious at all am I?!

So I just wondered what you experienced folk think of the practicality of this stuff which is 90 cm high. I can't find how high the omlet stuff is. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks, Landgirl

:dance:it's E-day -1 and C-day -2. weeeeeeeeee :D

Omlet fencing is 4' high - this stuff is about 3' (doing a quick conversion) - depends if yours are good flyers or not!

Because the Omlet stuff is quite floppy, they can't launch themselves off it or perch on it, whereas they might manage to with this.

Don't really have much experience of anything else, I'm not on commission, honest, but I think the Omlet netting is difficult to beat! It's almost invisible from a distance, but I accept that this might look a bit more like it was meant to be in a garden.

Thanks Olly, that's helpful. I didn't realise Omlet's would be a foot higher. Even with clipped wings it sounds a bit iffy - i guess it depends if they're escape artists to some extent, but I guess it's a no go.

Thanks again, Landgirl

I have some Omlet fencing and it does seem to do the trick. Mine don't even think about trying to fly over it - I think it's because they can't really see it all that clearly and therefore don't even try. They do try to get over my 4ft high picket fencing though :roll: .

someone else on here has made their own fencing, and I remember they posted a link to where they bought it from ... will see if I can find it, but maybe they will reply to this post if they see it. Mine aren't great flyers (except when the cat forgets his manners) but they do wriggle underneath the netting if I don't peg it down carefully.

not sure how to post a link, but if you search 'fencing' in the forum, you'll find several posts; it seems that some people find 2' high is enough to keep their chooks under control, and others find that 4' is not high enough!

there are a couple of people who've bought garden mesh and used bamboo, or other methods. Hope you find a solution. Maybe you should test their flying skills - sort of high jump competition with bamboo canes and mealworms as an incentive - till you find out how high the bar needs to be! :wink:

The Omlet netting is plenty high enough for relaxed hens; but my new Pepperpot is straight over it whenever she is is harrassed by my massive Wyandotte, who scares her. This is after having her wing clipped (by Johannes himself).

When they are scared, hens become bionic. I would be inclined to make the fencing high enough and then landscape it. Bamboos all round would be good.

Fargesia (formerly Arundinaria) nitida, the fountain bamboo, would have been great for this kind of thing: it is a lovely blue shade. But as it flowered and died worldwide in 2006/7 you need to avoid any large plants still around: they will be going cheap if they are just about to flower. If you can wait, however, the new seedlings will be safe for about a hundred years!

hmm, interesting fact about the fargesia, whooda thunk?

i may end up doing some landscaping, but the area I'm thinking off is the end of my garden and I don't want the hens invisible behind plants, as seeing them from the house when it's raining will be nearly as much fun as having a glass of wine while talking to them of a summer's evening when it's not! :lol:

I shall just have to start them on non-flight training as soon as they arrive, with full photographic coverage! thanks again for all the advice, this forum really is the business.

Landgirl

bluEGLU arriving today!!!!

As soon as the hens settle down (and put on a bit of weight) they become far less flighty. It has only taken ten days to ground my two new ones.

Bamboo is very interesting (I realize I am moving off topic). Wherever it is all over the world it suddenly decides to flower (not often: about once a century) and every existing plant dies. Any little bits that come up afterwards and look hopeful flower themselves in the following months and die too. People collect the seed and start again, and then of course it is a very safe one to get, as it is the least likely one to die in your lifetime.