witzend

Interior decorating for WIRs - dust bath/ladders

WIR will be on flags - what's best size for a dust bath (for 3/4 bantam size chooks)? Has anyone been creative in making one??

My classic will be on a table - possibly plastic garden type. Anyone any creative ideas for ladders???

I use the little picket "edging" fences they sell at Homebase for ladders, others use the rigid log roll ones, which are probably better for bantams!! I just cut the 'stakes' off and cable tie them in place! :D

Link 1

Link 2

For the dust bath, I have a wooden planter filled with a mix of compost, play sand and Diatom! :D It fits two hybrids at once!

Link 3

I have been considering buying a kiddies play table...it's like a standard kiddies picnic bench but the table has a built in sand pit!! :dance:

Diatom is a powder that lots of people use for natural mite control....Diatomaceous (sp?) Earth! I'm sure they sell it in the Omlet shop! :D

As for distance between rungs, just a natural step...for my hybrids, I'd guess 10-15cm between rungs...the beauty of those edging fences is that they use the long bars that go the length if the distance is too great!

...my Mum's Polands probably 6-10cms. I wouldn't go any steeper than 45 degrees from the floor...if possible, make it as gentle a slope as possible! :D

I have various ladder type things in my WIR - have a look at my signature link. My favourite is a Y shaped branch to which I cable-tied the uprights from an Ikea shoerack :D . I've also made one out of part of a pallet using dismantled wooden roosting bars for the rungs (just behind the black hen).

4632470921_151e0b58df.jpg

You're definitely the Master, ANH! Your run was my inspiration when trying to come up with new ramps/shelves etc!! :D

I just want to know how you keep it so clean!! I've got two "shelves" and 3 ladders and it's a nightmare trying to scrub poo off them!! :doh:

That is the one downside :lol: . Luckily, they've all now taken to sleeping with bums facing the garage wall so all the poop falls down the gap to the floor below 8) .

*Top Tip - don't put shelves flush against walls* :wink:

I'm loving that Top Tip, I would never have thought of that :doh: