fluffy chick

broody problem !

Hi, after some advice!

I currently have 3 pekins who are broody and trying to share the eglu nesting box! :roll: I took one out and put her in broody cage (a puppy cage with the plastic tray on top to stop her getting wet) on top of bricks. She had been in there 3 days yesterday so I let her out but she gravitated back to the nest. So I put her back in. This morning I let her out as she'd been in there 4 days. I couldn't stay to see if she went back to the nest as I went to work. Just got home and she's back in the nesting box with the other 2 again! Should I put her back in and try again or give up? Should I try and sort one of the others?

8 :shock:

It just seems mean as she has done 4 days already. Then because she was probable in the nest box again all day I feel like i'm back to square one! Would you put her back in then? Then look at her again tomorrow night when I have some time to watch her? Bloomin nuisance! Trying to convince oh to let me buy fertile eggs and be done with it :wink:

what about an ice block (the blue sort you put in picnic bags - not a lump of frozen water!) under the bedding - this might cool her broodiness??

I tried that, she just sat on it :roll: . Yesterday morning, our broody girl was in the nest box, along with Bessie who doesnt lay anymore (well, she lays imaginary eggs). The girls who are laying where stamping their feet outside the door with their legs crossed!

A couple of days ago, there was 3 full sized adult girls (lgiht sussex, rhode rock and isa warren) in the nest box, with a bluebelle trying to push herself in!

Hi There

I do sympathise as I've got exactly the same problem.

1 of my girls just would not snap out of it & was not eating or drinking unless we dragged her off the nest & made her walk,even then she only pooped ,ate & drank & ran off back there as soon as she could.

We have weakened & she is due to hatch some hopefully fertile bantie eggs that only had a week to go.We only have 3 girls so we had always planned having more anyway.

Now we have the same problem with our wapping great girl who weighs 9.5 pounds. Trying to convince her out of the eglu door with her feet jammed against the sides is not easy. We have tried the ice pack thing( just sits it out till it gets all nice & warm again). Tried constantly putting her out( was raining yesterday). My one remaining hen is looking really fed up with being on her own while all her friends have gone nuts!

I have bought a dog crate to try to break it but I love her so much as she is such a gentle giant who always sits on us for cuddles. I can't bear to make her unhappy.

I feel exactly the same as you and would just like to know that we are doing the right thing!

Hope you find something that helps Strawberry.

Good luck

Penelope.

Trying to convince her out of the eglu door with her feet jammed against the sides is not easy.

Penelope.

:lol: sorry but what an image!

Thanks for the luck, you too. I didn't mind using the broody cage but more than 4 days does seem a bit mean. I know she can't get comfortable in it so I put a perch in, but even so :?

I currently have 3 ice packs in the nest box to try and put all 3 off. It isn't stopping them, they aren't laid out like pancakes now just stood on them. I'm worried their feet will become damaged now :? Trouble is when all 3 are in there the others can't get in to lay and (god forbid) one of those goes broody too! :shock: