Guest Siany

Please offer advice if you keep your bun in an Eglu! :)

hello, I have a week's trial to this forum because when I came across Eglus I adored them straightaway, especially the pink one! I'm sure my bunny would be in love too, but I have a few reservations before I invest in one and it would be so helpful if anyone with bunny eglu knowledge would help. I keep my rabbit in a 4 ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch which is under a well sheltered car port. I've been advised that the eglu can be kept on concrete, but how sturdy is the run? could it tip over or could Lily my bunny lift it up and get out? (if she got her nose under it, she's quite strong!) I've also read that bunny hutches shouldn't be kept on the ground directly because of damp, intruding rodents etc - is this not a problem with the eglu? also, is the eglu a good size so that a bunny used to a large hutch won't feel cramped at night time? Do you feel overall that it's been worth your £350? Soooo many questions! Thank you to anyone who helps,

Sian

PS. if you want to see Lily, she has a website at www.mypetspages.com/mysite/935 :)

The run certainly couldn't be tipped over by a rabbit but if it's on grass or soil, a bunny could dig its way out so you'd need some wire mesh underneath to prevent that. The Eglu is certainly roomy inside. The chicken version is the same as the rabbit one but you wouldn't have roosting bars inside and if it's big enough for up to 4 hens, it's definitely big enough for a rabbit. I've got the chicken version and I think it's well worth the money as it's tough, doesn't need maintenance, is easier to clean than any wooden rabbit hutch that I've ever had and looks fab!

PS - what a cute rabbit! Lily is gorgeous!!

I've got 2 chicken eglus and recently saw the bunny eglu for the first time, and was very impressed with it. I'd dearly love one, but can't afford one just yet. It is quite large enough to house 2 or possibly even 3 rabbits in comfort, and is warm and dry, and very easy to take apart and clean. I'd agree with Kate's comments about the burrowing out possibility though, so mesh on the underside would be advisable. It's far too heavy for a bunny to lift, so that isn't a risk. I love the fact though that you can leave the eglu door open so the bunny can follow their natural intincts and wander in and out and graze on grass etc as much as they like. I'd be slightly less keen on the concrete base idea, only because rabbits really do best with lots of access to grass and greenery, and that would be lacking on a concrete base, but of course that's only my opinion.

I don't think there are any bunny eglu owners listed on the egluowners to visit section, but you could perhaps arrange to visit a chicken eglu owner to get an idea of the size in an eglu because the space is the same, just arranged a little bit differently.

thanks for all your help :) I am going to have to save up for an eglu, but when I get one I'll be back on here to let you know how Lily gets on with it! Thanks again, x

Hi Siany

I have two lovely mini-lop girls. they have a conventional 2 decker hutch and a cheaper hutch with run on the lawn. They have their eyes on a pink Rablu! I have seen Rablus in action at the shows that the lads from Omlet do, and they look great, with loads of room to run around. I would recommend putting mesh under the run and fastening it to the 'skirt' of the run as girl bunnies have a tendency to dig. I think that Omlet are designing one of these at the moment.

I mentioned somewhere in the bunny section of the forum (here that I would be inclined to leave the door of the Rablu open except for in v bad weather. rabbits are pretty active at night (rest more at lunchtime) and would appreciate being able to get out and run around - but I guess that you know that. My girls use a litter tray for the majority of their 'business' and I would probably get a covered cat litter tray to put out in the run if I got a Rablu. They are good girls and would rather cross their legs than soil their hutch! :D

The run comes with a sunshade and there is a bigger cover available too, so they can shelter from rain/sun. My two are real brainless bimbos and will sit around in the rain getting all spiky instead of sheltering from the rain :roll:

Let me know if you decide to get one - I would love to hear what you think.