LunaKiw1

what are the classic symptoms of egg peritonitis please?

Fat-looking hen but on inspection they may be quite skinny except for having a swollen abdomen. It may be red and hot and may feel squishy. The hen may develop a distinctive 'John Wayne' waddle with legs quite wide apart. The abdomen can be drained of fluid by a vet, and any infection can be treated with antibiotics, but unfortunately the long-term prognosis is not good.

Ginger (age 2 and a half) has the waddle and fluffed up look but is also not eating much whilst passing very watery poos - sometimes yellow and even a bit green. At other times there's a lot of mucous and the poo is yellowy and foul smelling. And there have been a lot of small lashes in their poo tray overnight. But on the other hand at times she still acts quite chicken-y and potters round the garden with Pepper.

egg peritonitis symptoms include bright green runny pooh, swollen belly, awkward John Wayne gait, depression in birds and sitting on nest for ages without producing anything. Two of my ex-batts ended up with that and I had to have them put down. Vets will consider hysterectomies but told me putting her to sleep for the operation would probably kill her anyway so I did the kindest thing for both of them. Helen :(

I now know it was egg peritonitis - and acute stage. The vet said there was nothing he could do as seh was basically just expelling her insides. She was PTS last night. He said the problem with chickens is they don't show they are ill until basically it is too late to do anything.