Millie-Annie

Rehoming a guinea pig

I have set my heart on a lovely 2 year old neutered boar, he is in rescue and the lady said he is miserable and would love a new home. I have been and bought all his bits and my husband has extended our hutch ready for him to join my two girls. I have been waiting since Tuesday for someone to contact me about a home check. I have set my heart on him, but really wanted him this weekend so next week when I am off work I can really keep an eye on things and make sure all are happy. I have emailed and suggested I give her a signed disclaimer that I will hand him back if the home checker is not happy, or that she contacts my vet for a reference, anything to get the little chap here, but she said I have to wait and that she has told the home checker I am in a hurry for him. My husband says try somewhere else either this afternoon or tomorrow and find another little chap that needs a home, but I have fallen in love with this little man and feel so sorry for him.

Does it always take this long anyone know :?

I too have found it painfully slow adopting rescues, but from volunteering at a sanctuary later, found it is because they are so often over streched.

personally, I would wait and save this little one, especially as he is not happy being in rescue.

Hope it gets sorted soon!

The home checker came last night and said would email all the forms and photos back to the rescue centre as soon as she got home. The rescue centre is open today between 1 and 3 and I have emailed and said if I passed is there any chance of collecting him today. Have to admit, if I hear nothing today, I shall go and look else where tomorrow. I appreciate they are stretched, but what do they have to do apart from say yes come and get him?

I just don't know what to do, I wanted him this week as I am on holiday so can keep a close eye on things and make sure all is well and I have explained that to her. I don't want to phone again, but problem is to get there is a 66 mile round trip and I don't know the way so would be far happier if my husband could drive me and I could keep my eye on the guinea pig.

I just feel so frustrated and so sad for the piggie that is unhappily sitting in a small hutch. If I go elsewhere I shall always feel I let him down :cry:

and guess what..........still nothing :twisted:

I have rung another local rescue today and she had a bonded pair but he nips. She said he is calming down and as an experienced owner I should have no problems and a lot of it with her is that she smells of other guineas and rabbits all the time. She also has two youngsters who are not yet neutered but I can either choose one and wait for him to be ready or she will lend me a cage and I can keep him separate for 4-6 weeks but still have him live with me 10 days after the op.

Your thoughts?

I was sure I had updated this but it seems to have disappeared :? Anyway, yes the original rehoming place rang yesterday and I collected him last night. He is a sweetie and really friendly, but Matilda pig is really not happy. She is a stroppy diva and everything is hers anyway, but now she is facing him and teeth chattering. I have taken her straw house out as she was really possessive about that. They have been ok -ish in the run all day but now they are in the hutch there is less space, so it is worse. I do have two of everything including bedrooms, so as the lady said not to dive in too quick I have left them, but I shall worry all night I think.

If you think she is being possesive of her things, could you not put new bottles and things in so there is no smell on them, and give the hutch a really good clean with a pet friendly smelly (like flowers) disenfectant.

That might work.

We used to own guinea pigs but dont have them any more at one point we had 13.

can we have some pictures?

They have spent all day in a brand new run, so no smells there and I cleaned the hutch out and thoroughly disinfected it this morning left it to air all day.

I will try and get some photos on over the weekend.

Both the homechecker and the rescue centre said not to dive in too quickly, they need to settle and definitely not to separate them again, as that will make reintroducing almost impossible

aww so glad you have got him now and look forward to the pics when you get chance to post.

As a suggestion if they are not taking to each other too well, I always found if you gave them a bath together (using small pet shampo) and then a blow dry (low heat) it always helped mine bond. The dont like it overly much but it gets rid of their smell and they will smell the same afterwards. Its worth a try. :) xx