Lesley

Geocaching?

We've done geocaching - it's great fun. It's a good way to tempt the kids into going walking wthout them thinking they are going walking!

let me know if yu want to know more...

Phil

Hi Phil - did you use the word ' Kids' just so that you could hear me scream all the way down there? :shock::lol:

I wondered how well you have to hide the box and what happens if someone else just happens to find it? and.......

Would a SatNav that you can take out of the car work as a GPS?

Hi Lesley,

obvously I was referring to our baby goats...

as for a satnav from a car - I don't know - we don't have a car satnav. If it's the kind of kit where you can type in longitude and latitude coordinates - then it should work (it helps if you can also store the coordinates of where you left the car!)

as for hiding - most of them are fairly well hidden - that's party of the fun for my baby goats - the coordinates are usually good to within a few square yards (depending on tree cover etc) - then you have to root about a bit.)

mosat caches have notes inside in case a "muggle" (yes - very irritating Potter term for non-geocacher!) finds it - explaining what it is they have found.

Phil

I haven't done this but I understand something similar called Letterboxing is popular on Dartmoor. Since it's been going on a long time (100 years???), GPS thingies and websites are not required. There aren't any clues as to where the boxes are, you just have to search. There is of course a website and books which can tell you more about it, and probably a site which tells you where to look for boxes!