bennionsfield

treatment for tapeworm in ducks

i've been trying to find a suitable wormer for my ducks who have a huge tapeworm problem. i've used flubenvet since i've had them and regularly worm them every 3-6 months. i posted on another forum and was advised to use 2ml of 3% Levacide orally, however, when i checked with my local vets (they wanted to inject them with a dog wormer ?) they said it was toxic for ducks and didnt kill tapeworm anyway? i'm now beginning to worry that i'm going to loose my ducks to tapeworm infestation :-(, one has already stopped laying and the amount of worms they are shedding is huge :-0 !!!!

help please, even if its details of a duck friendly vet in the shropshire /cheshire border area

thanks Zoe, will try the vets again on monday for some,

the ducks, there are three of them, are on an area of approx 60-80ft square with a 40ft pool in it, they've had the area to themselves for approx 12 months now. there isnt anywhere else they can go really other than just moving their run/house short term. the water in the pool is very shallow as we've not had much/if any rain for a long while, i'm presuming this is why the worm issue has arisen. the main thing for now is to try and get something to kill them off and then presumably then they will be ok to go back on the pool after a while, any idea of how long to keep them off it ?

I would make sure the pool is cleaned out every 6 weeks or so, and move their run to fresh pasture.

Worms are tough to shift as you have to treat at the right time in the cycle, and this all depends on the type of worm.

You just need to get the infestation under control, rotate their pasture and worm them regularly after that.

See what the vet says. If you don't get a good response from your vet I know a couple of really good avian vets who may be able to help you if you send them a sample they should be able to prescribe the best treatment.

Get that pond cleaned out as it will be harbouring all sorts of nasties and get them on some fresh pasture until all under control!

Good lcuk

zo

x

Thanks zoe, the pool is a natural one that's fed by springs so not able to actually empty it, will try and put them on some fresh grass for a few weeks by moving the fencing, that's as best I can do for them unfortunately. I can put some fresh water in for them by using a trough but they will have to just dunk their heads rather than swim for a while. Thanks for the link, my vets are going to look at getting some Of the

wormer, they did warn me to keep my dogs well of the area also to stop they pickng anything up too :-0!! I'm really worried now ! But at least I can now get the right wormer and start to get them all sorted.

Update on ducks, they've been wormed by the vet with a injectable version of drontal for dogs, vets checked with all sorts of references and other vets and its safe :D great news is the ducks are looking really good, the one who'd stopped laying has even started again, though the eggs are beeing thrown at the mo due to the wormer, they have to be wormed again in 2 weeks to be sure we've got them all and then hopefully vets have recommended just giving them a drontal tablet crushed in their feed.

hope this is usefull info for others with the same problem. vets think theyv'e picked up the worms either from the crows who nick their food if i've left the run open or from earth worms/slugs and snails around the pool. they said the worm burden should subside over the winter and hopefully with a safe wormer found i wont have a problem with numbers getting out of hand again - great news all round, just need more rain now to fill the pool back up to normal levels