ducknovice

Novice in need of advice

Hi, Just acquired 3 Campbell ducks all female, 20 weeks old. Heaven help them. They have been here for 2 days now and do not seem to be eating very much. They will only come out of their house for 2 or 3 pecks then all go back in. I am getting paranoid about them starving. Also need to get in the house to tidy up but do not want to scare them. It is very windy and heavy rain here so have put food in the house but worry about them not using pool to clean their beaks. Is it best to feed once a day in morning or twice a day. I am using pellets as that is what they have been fed on but also have mixed grain and do I give greens if they are not coming out to forage?

Also what sanitizer is best for duck house? If they ever leave it for me to get in to clean!!! Any help would be appreciated..as you can tell I need it! I have read lots of books but have only ever had dogs before.

Hi Ducknovice first thing stop panicing it will take at least a week or more for you ducks to settle in they wont starve they will eat if they are hungry you could try putting their food and water near the outside of the door so they have to come out and get it dont worry about the pellets getting wet my ducks love it when it rains and makes their pellets mushy dont worry about greens they will out and running about before you know it and i just use poultry shield to spray the inside of the house and then let dry i also find they stay cleaner longer if you have athick layer of shavings and then straw on top i only clean my ducks out once a week it doesnt matter how many times you clean up after ducks they are just stinky hope this helps abit leanne :)

Thanks feel better already! Know I was panicking but it is almost like having my first baby again..I was the same then.

Thanks for advice re pellets..I was a bit worried about that as I live on the North West coast where it rains a lot. I am just so excited as I have wanted ducks for so long and have now got them as I retired a couple of months ago. Don't care about the smelly aspect just want things to be as clean and comfortable as possible for my girls. Thanks a lot, Marie

Agreed, they are sensitive souls!!! They hate change and will take a while to adjust!

Wet pellets are fine, just make sure they are changed every day as moldy pellets will kill them.

make sure they always have water nearby pellets.

You can adlib feed or feed twice a day, whatever you prefer.

If you can keep the feed away from potential rats then ad lib is good, if not then twice a day.

If you give them treats, give them in the afternoon or they will fill up on treats and not eat pellets.

Offer them oyster shell also as they need this to make egg shells

zo

x

Thank you ladies for advice. Girls are settling in fine, just as you said. They seem to be tolerating my attempts at caring for them. They have finally taken to the water and it is such a joy to see them flapping and diving, the video camera is in full use! Just one more question...what about worming? Should it be done routinely? Thanks, Marie