LJ's Chooks

Aaargh.... Red mites!!!!

Well I have made it 4 years and then today we have found red mites in our cubes!!!!!

Yikes they are horrid. I have spent all day scrubbing and spraying with poultry shield. My hands are now sore and swollen, but the girls and boy have just gone to bed in a clean cube.

I've red mite powdered, d-earthed, and johnson'ed most of the chooks.

Should I clear out the wood chip from under the cubes?

What do I do in their nest box, I was using wood shavings merrily for years and never had red mite????

Anything else I should do??? I scrubbed the cube a month ago and I had no signs of red mite, but today was horrid.

Any suggestions would be welcome, it was a huge shock today, I have 2 girls under the weather too, and am now totally paranoid.

How quickly do I need to re scrub and spray with poultry shield???

Sorry , so many questions but it's been a horrid day...

You will need to repeat the treatment every 3 days until they are gone. Wash with Total Mite Kill Concentrate which will kill the mites and eggs, then powder with Buz Busters. Once they have gone, go back to your weekly routine of scrubbing and powdering. If you do a weekly inspection and scrub then any mites will be noticed early on before they build up, and are more easily eradicated before they really take hold.

I'd replace the woodchip with Aubiose; it's less hospitable to mites and lice.

If you have a sizable infestation then the chooks might well be anaemic and poorly so I'd add a bit of Life-Guard to their water.