bigmommasally

A mixed week

This week started very badly - we lost Emmy one of our newer girls on Monday, she'd had an upset tum for a few days but was still eating and drinking lots so we weren't overly concerned. We were giving Aprivo in the water and Porridge with Yakult and until Sunday we thought she would be okay. But Sunday she was very low and hunched so we planned to take her to the vet on Monday, unfortunately she died overnight. :(

RIP Little Emmy

20110806.jpg

We had already thought about adding a couple of more girls before the winter so losing Emmy spurred us on and today we collected 3 newbies from Kirsty at Hens4Homes http://www.hensforhomes.co.uk/

Coral Reef - Annie - apparently she is already laying

145.jpg

Bovans Goldline - Diddy - 16 weeks

152.jpg

Rhode Ranger - still thinking of a name for this one - 16 weeks

140.jpg

:D

Sorry about Emmy.

We were at kirsty's today. We got a lovely Coral Reef too and a gorgeous Marran Cuckoo, to join Marley our Hertiage skyline who we got 3 weeks ago and Ruby our more mature lady.

Did you use Kirsty's intro method, of letting them just get on with it? We put Marley in with Ruby right from the first night. For the first week Ruby pecked a bit so we let her FR during the day and left Marley in the run. After a week they were getting on ok, now after 3 weeks they are inseparable..

The 2 new girls (no names yet) went straight into the eglu tonight with Ruby and Marley, so hoping it all goes as smoothly again.

Both our new girls are apparently laying, which will be lovely as Marley isn't yet and Ruby is too posh to push more than once a week.

Sorry about Emmy :(

I agree with Redwing, your Rhode Ranger is beautiful :D she needs a gorgeous name to go with her prettiness :D

I've got all the family round for sunday lunch today so I'm hoping between us we can come up with a pretty name for her.

Hi Skittles65 - there were alot of folk at Kirsty's when we were there, we were there at about 12.15 - 12.45. What time was you there? She does have some lovely hens, I'd really like to go there when its quieter and get the chance to pick out the ones I want but its always far too busy for that. I didn't put the new ones straight in with the older girls, (my middle name is cautious :roll: ) so its a nice slow intro for me. I've divided my WIR into 2 with the old cube run weld mesh and put up screens so they can't see each other I'll leave it like that for a week then take the screen down and let them get use to each other through the wire for another week or so, then eventually I'll bite the bullet and pop them in with the old girls at night time. Thats what I did last time and it worked pretty well without too much pecking. So I'm hoping it will go smoothly again. Have you posted some pics of your girls? :)

Hi BmSally

We were up there later about half one. It was kind of a last minute decision to get 2 more this weekend. We had to wait a while as the one guy there seemed to buying for a farm. But after that got Kirsty's undivided attention.

The first white one we chose made a dash for it when Kirsty went to clip her wings and was last seen 20 feet up a tree.

The intro has gone even better this time, Ruby did go for the Marran once but she just gave as good as she got and now they are kind of in 2 gangs, letting each other get on with it.

We even got an egg this morning, small but perfectly formed.

Need to have a play on here to work out how to do photos and smilies, will get onto it when Iv'e stopped chicken watching.

The Rhode Ranger has a name now, she is called Amy. I name all my girls after old family members and found out today that Amy was a bit of a traditional name for several generations in OH's maternal family. :)

Skittle65 well done on doing such a swift and painless intro. you are much braver than me :lol: I glad all went well for you, hope they continue to lay eggs for you.

Thank-you everyone else for your kind words :)