clucker1 Posted February 11, 2012 Share Posted February 11, 2012 Does anyone have the Omlet netting on uneven ground and if yes, does it work ok? We have a garden with quite a slope and wondering about the best way to section off a part of the garden so the girls don't have the whole garden to themselves, then my plants will be ok and I won't have chicken poo all over the drive! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 11, 2012 Share Posted February 11, 2012 It should be fine, it's very flexible and it comes with tent pegs so you can fix it to the ground in-between the posts. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Adelochick Posted February 11, 2012 Share Posted February 11, 2012 Hi clucker1, Yes, I've got a 21m run of omlet netting set up in my sloping rear garden so that my pekin flock can free range with supervision. To be honest you need many more 'tent pegs' than those supplied with it, and I have had to cut a length of netting so that it can attach to my WIR and give me an area of garden for them to FR in, as I didn't want to put the netting around the WIR enclosing it in the FR area which would have given me a much smaller area. The cut ends of netting I did seal using a flame, so that it won't unravel, but be warned the ends stay hot a long time. The 'gate', which is where the two ends of netting meet, can be a bit difficult to clip together (particularly in this cold weather) but I am hoping that it will last a long time. The spikes on the uprights just push into the ground to secure them and, apart from the 'gatepost' which will need resiting as it does get wobbly with use, they are fine. I'm glad that I bought it, even at £99. Hope that helps, J. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted February 12, 2012 Author Share Posted February 12, 2012 Thank you Duncan08 and Adelochick for your help. Adelochick, how sloping is your garden? We have part of ours which is about 30 degrees and I wonder if the netting would sit along here ok. The rest of the garden which I want to pen off is uneven, the chickens don't object. Quite happy to use extra tent pegs. Thank you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Adelochick Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 Hi again, Have just woken OH to ask him how sloping our garden is as I've noticed your latest post, he thinks it is about 30 degrees running uphill from the back of our house to the end of our garden. My netting is attached to our garden fencing, cuts across the lawn for about 16-20 feet, then continues up the garden for 25 ft or so to the 'gate', before joining the separate piece of netting (10 ft ish) which is attached to the side of the WIR beyond it's doorway. The uprights thread through the netting squares so there is a little leeway to accommodate the uneven ground, but plenty of tent pegs is a must to ensure that the bottom edge of the netting is secure against attempts to escape under it! I'm pleased with the netting which allows me to let my pekins FR in the afternoons when possible, under supervision as we have numerous dogs either side of us, and open ground beyond our garden. Hope that helps, Jx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...