cloud

First time in the garden

We let our girls out for a run around the garden in the sunshine today. It took them some time to leave the run - I had to clear the snow around their door before they would put a foot outside.

Gingernut was the first out and she was also the first to stretch her wings. Flew up on top of the run and surveyed the world of snow and ice. Surprisingly Bluie was the second one out but at first she wouldn't go beyond the snow free patch in front of the door. Coco and Siouxsie soon reasserted the lead and stomped out together and promptly and together both took off with a lot of flapping - managed about two foot off the ground and landed halfway to the border. Gave me more confidence that the 4 foot high fences around the garden are high enough.

We watched them for half an hour or so as they rooted around the border. Very pleased to see they all moved around together. Not sure what I would have done if they went in all different directions as although I had checked the whole garden for safety and security I'm a real noobie and I probably missed something important.

first-time-out-400.jpg

L to R, Ginger, Siouxsie, Bluie and Coco

We would have liked to have left the girls out longer but we had to go and feed the in-laws. They were very good as they went in to the run with only a little persuading (the hens, not the in-laws). Only Bluie needed a gentle shove for which I was duly told off , but she soon made her own way into the run and proceeded to cluck loudly at the other hens who were now dithering on the entrance. Bettie Bluie is beginning to show an obstinate streak.