Gallusgallus

Bare bottomed girl...

Hi all,

I've recently (today) bought a new flock of hens after moving house a few years ago and selling everything. One of my marans however, has a big red bald patch (see link, i couldn't get the photo to work). I assume it's due to pecking, but as it's been a while since dealing with any of these issues I thought I'd check. No mites, lethargy or obvious signs of distress and she's eating and drinking well. Any ideas?

Many thanks

IMG00827-20120211-1452

Welcome to the forum :) . There are a few functions you can't use till you've notched up about 5 or 6 posts (designed to prevent spammers posting links).

Sounds like it may be down to pecking if there's no sign of any lice/mites/etc.

Perhaps some anti-pecking spray might do the trick?

Here's a clickable link to the photo in the meantime ....

IMG00827-20120211-1452

We too noticed today that our Mrs Pepperpot also has a red bald patch underneath too. Her vent also appears to be red too. She often sleeps in the egg laying area of our eglu go and I have read today that sleeping on sawdust/bedding may contribute to this condition. I have dusted the eglu down with Diatomaceous Earth this afternoon but will update if there is any improvement.

She has not layed since Dec 27th but is healthy otherwise and is eating well.

It does look like feather pecking either down to self pecking due to mites or aggressive behaviour from one if it's pen mates

I'm surprised someone sold it to you looking like that frankly

If it came out of a one with the others that you currently have then you'll need to try and identify the bully, if it wasn't with any of the others then hopefully they will not peck at her and she should be five in time

You could of course take it back and ask for a different one, sone chickens are born victims and you may have ongoing problems with it

Hi there,

We were away the other week and had a friend come and house and hen sit for the week. On our return, I noticed that 3 of my 4 chooks all had very bare bottoms! :shock: The only one that didn't - Bess - is at the bottom of the pecking order, which is interesting.

I wondered that our friend didn't let them out of their cube as early as they are used to and they may have got bored in their run all day - I usually hang things up for them to peck at and let them out for an hour or so to Free range etc, but he may not have done this.

So for the past week, I have been spraying anti-pecking stuff on their bald patches and I am very pleased to report that all their feathers are starting to grow back again :clap:

Might want to try the anti-pecking stuff - hopefully it will work!

Good luck :)

This is all very interesting as one of my hens started moulting before Christmas. Most of her feathers have grown back, but she too has a bare undercarriage, just below the vent to between her legs. Can't see signs of parasites, the vent is clean and a good colour. her comb is red, she's laying every few days which is right for her age and she seems otherwise happy. Have watched the three hens and can't see any signs of aggression, but will try the anti-pecking spray. She's the oldest of the three, and while they all seem to exist happily together she's not at the top of the pecking order.

We got 6 POL's a few weeks ago, all from the same group, but I have noticed over the last few days that 2 have small bald patches and another one has quite a blad bottom now :?

Before now I have always had 3 in an eglu and extended run, letting them out for an hour or so each night. These have a more than fair sized run with loads of scratching etc. to do, much more than what they had been used to, so I can't see boredom baing an issue.

We do have one who is definitely bottom of the pecking order, she is obviously the youngest as she hasn't got so much of a fluffy bum yet, what she does have though is intact, but some of the others who did have lovely fluffy bums are looking a bit patchy.