surfer_chicken Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 George, the ex-batt (released at the end of December) has always had a swollen abdomen. I've lost chickens before to peritonitis and know ex-batts are prone to it, so I've always been fairly sure this is why. However I decided to hang onto her as she was showing no other symptoms and I know they can last a while before the symptoms kick in. I figured she could enjoy as much freedom as possible in the knowledge I could dispatch her when the time comes. The problem is deciding when that time is She's always been a little quiet and withdrawn from the others, has never laid an egg and has never been interested in treats, but she's always scoffing her layers pellets, shouting at me and generally being as mad as the day she arrived. Today I noticed her bum was incredibly mucky and brought her in for a wash (felt bad I haven't noticed it before ). During this I noticed a sort of red thing poking out her vent, it looked like pictures of prolapses I've seen, but she was able to draw it back into herself (which I thought they couldn't do if it was a prolapse, might be wrong). Also she seemed to be constantly straining. This all seems quite worrying to me, but she's fine in herself, eating etc. and not hunched up, which is why I'm confused! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just FYI chickens don't go to the vets here, but I'm happy to try home remedies. At the end of the day however, if she's suffering I'd rather just put her to sleep. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 It's normal for a small amount of oviduct to poke out of the vent just prior to and just after laying but it should go back in after the egg has been laid. It could be that she has a soft egg on the way, but either way I'd keep an eye on her and see how it goes; it's too early to be able to make any decisions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted February 16, 2012 Author Share Posted February 16, 2012 I just thought it was a little strange. The 'prolapse' appeared when I originally picked her up because I noticed she was mucky, twice while I was washing her and again as I put her back, but only for about 5-10 seconds before disappearing again. Would this happen if it was an egg? She hasn't laid before and I haven't been expecting her to so it would be a nice surprise if she did! I guess I'll have to wait and look at her again tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 16, 2012 Share Posted February 16, 2012 From that description it just sounds as if she's a heavy layer with slightly 'baggy' pelvic tone - I wouldn't worry too much - that's what happens to heavy layers as they get older.... a bit like women who've had lots of babies and not done their pelvic floor exercises Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...