Stedic Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 Hello all, I've had new girls for a week or so now, they've been living in a sectioned off area of the WIR with their own coop. Yesterday, I removed the netting as the fighting had subsided and things went reasonably well. They had access to their own coop, but all went to bed in the cube without any assistance or encouragement. But.... This morning, the three new girls are staying inside the Cube. I let the others out to FR, and the new girls made their way out for some food and water,so they're OK health wise. When the older girls came back in, the newer ones ran into the cube together. Is this normal behaviour? Do I need to force them out of the cube (and into a fight)? There are plenty of places in the run to hide/escape/jump on, and three food/water stations dotted around. Or, am I just worrying too much, and they'll get hungry and head out in their own time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 All sounds normal to me. That is exactly what mine do when first introduced - the newbies know to keep out of the way initially. As long as they are getting access to the food and water each day, keep doing what you are doing. You can encourage them to mingle further by scattering some corn, they will get bolder and bolder over the next week or so. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 I agree, that sounds entirely normal to me. Last time I did introductions, the new hens spent the first few weeks hiding behind the Eglu. As long as they have access to food and water, they will gradually get braver. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 My two new girls keep out of the way, they have been living "together" now for about 10 days. They don't like going to bed in the cube as one of the old girls wont let them in so I have to stand about and give the oldies the odd "peck" as they settle down for the night. If the old girls are outside the run the new ones will be inside, and vice versa, they are getting a little less jumpy now though around the others. However, they caught a mouse yesterday, Lavendar, one of the babies, who runs away when no-one is chasing her, was right in there trying to get a bit Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stedic Posted February 22, 2012 Author Share Posted February 22, 2012 Tanks for your reassurance. The new girls are still hiding in the coop, so I'm going out twice a day to FR the older ones. The new girls then instantly come out of the cube to eat and drink, have a scratch round etc. The trouble is, as soon as the older girls get back from FRing they go for a peck, and the new girls run to the cube. I almost feel I need to shut the cube door for a while, to force them to run somewhere else, but I'm sure this is a bad idea. On friday I'm off to buy some straw bales, to provide even more cover in the run for the new girls, as I feel they need to learn to stay outside in safety so they can see when the feeders are free. If the situation doesn't improve by Sunday I may consider re-seperating the run and taking a step backwards, just so the newbies don't become weak or ill. Any other suggestions? Thanks so far, Steve PS, the new girls are from Merrydale - a Cuckoo, Sweetie and a Crested Legbar and they are gorgeous!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 Do you have any high perches in your run? If they have perches to retreat to, that will stop them retrreating to the cube. Don't worry it is still entirely normal. Every time I have introduced newbies, they do the same thing. I do as you have done, let the old ones out to free range so the young ones can come down for food and water, but they always retreat again when the oldies come back in. If you have some high perches they will use those. It does take a couple of weeks still - be patient! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...