Yes, the difference between a horse and a pony is size. A pony is up to 14.2hh and a horse is 14.3hh and over.

I think polo ponies is just a term that is used - not sure why though. Maybe someone else does!

Just to confuse things :lol:

With the hands thing, jugs of water is a good way of describing it. I always used to say imagine you have two wet sponges in your hand, you want to keep hold of them but not squeeze all the water out.

With trot the more you do the more natural it will become :clap:

Glad to hear your 'proper' second lesson went well and that you're getting the hang of rising trot. Sad to hear about the older ponies being sold on though :(

Yes, it is a shame. :( The stable is pretty small though, I just don't think it would be possible for them to keep all of the older ones and still have enough space to keep all of the ones that are suitable for riding.

With trot the more you do the more natural it will become :clap:

Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing next lesson? Cantering looks like the next 'step up', but then again that looks really complicated so I assume that I'll just keep practicing trotting for a few weeks.

Actually cantering is easier than trotting! Yes it's a bit faster but no where near as bouncy and no rising up and down to get the hang of. You may well continue with trotting in the next lesson and perhaps have a go at cantering if your're getting on well. You'll perhaps also practice your transition from walk to trot and trot to walk so you start to do that smoothly, and continue to work on your riding position.

Actually cantering is easier than trotting! Yes it's a bit faster but no where near as bouncy and no rising up and down to get the hang of. You may well continue with trotting in the next lesson and perhaps have a go at cantering if your're getting on well. You'll perhaps also practice your transition from walk to trot and trot to walk so you start to do that smoothly, and continue to work on your riding position.

Ooo, my instructor did mention that she'd get me on a faster horse next lesson, maybe I will be cantering 8)

Today's lesson was another disaster! :? Apparently last week my instructor didn't write my name in the book, so the time slot that I usually have was double booked and I had to go home.

I'm having my lesson moved to tomorrow, but it's not a private lesson. I have to share with someone a lot younger than me, and it's going to be really embarrassing :(