SueChick

Yippee!!! I'm Getting A WIR!!!

Have been quietly planning behind the scenes and reading post after post about WIR's and now am pleased to announce I'm getting one!!! Had to wait until tonight before I started celebrating as the builder had to have a look at the job of removing this raised terrace in our garden to allow space for the run. Had a slight sticky moment when he said it would be a massive job and loads of money but after seeing my forlorn face :( he stood there for a while having a think :think: and the next thing I know I'm having a chicken stage!! They are going up on the terrace area which will be mad bigger and slabbed across the top so they will be about 4 foot above the rest of the garden on a custom built chicken terrace.

So excited!! I'm going to order the omlet run with 1 extension and connect the Eglu and standard run to it - so that will give my 2 pepper pots and 1 gingernut ranger a total of 7 metres scratching ground in a run with a bird's eye view! (Sorry couldn't resist).

The work starts 1/5/12 (wish it was tomorrow but oh well) and I'll of course take before, during and after piccies!

Now, for all you ingenious chook owners out there.... I'm trying to go 100% plastic on entire thing including enrichment ideas so if you have some ideas on plastic roosting bars/shelves I'm definitely interested in hearing them.

Looking forward to planning it all!

We've got an Omlet WIR (no extension) attached to an Eglu Classic and 2m run. However, if I was starting from scratch now then I'd go for just the Eglu and an extra 1m WIR extension. Our 3 girls really only seem to use the original 2m run for walking to and from the Eglu and so I think having the extra space in the WIR would be better value per chook-space. It would an easier set-up to cover with the transparent tarpaulin too as the one we have over the tunnel run is a bit fiddly compared to the sheets across the top and sides of the WIR, which are more regular in shape.

Thx for the replies - well I've ordered the WIR and 1 extension - I am going to use the standard run if possible only because I have already bought it and don't want to waste it really and it'll be good for intros definitely. However they will have 3 x 2 m WIR plus 2m standard so I think that will plenty of space for 3 chooks (although my old 5 yr old is easily the size of the other 2 put together - bless her - just big boned she tells me!)

I have just fought and won (touch wood!!!!) a scary battle with mites and therefore have decided to go completely wood-free in the run. Has anyone used plastic perches? Though about plastic broom handles and PVC cladding for shelves. Easy clean and mite free.

Any great ideas please?