Clairey

Hen walking backwards... Any advice please??

Hello

One of my hens, who has always been healthy (she's 3) and/but tends to be rather hormonal (she has moulted, been broody and defensive way more than the other 2) walks backwards from time to time. At first it seemed funny and we did not make much of it thinking that she would stop. We then went away on holiday and at our return found that she still does it. The episodes happen a few times a day, more or less regularly: all of a sudden she just starts walking backwards very fast, even at times bumping into fences and walls as she can't seem to be able to stop. It lasts for a few seconds and then she appears to shake her head and looks a little baffled before going back to pecking.

I have had a look on various forums and have started giving her vitamins B complex and E as well as started putting some ear mites drops in her ears as per findings but I would love to hear from others who have had similar experiences. Is it neurological or has she got a lack of something/pests bothering her?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there, I have a chicken who started (and still does this)after a spell of illness, the reason to which I never got to the bottom of. I have posted about this a long while ago. Apart from this she seems fine, and as you say often reverses into things. Although I cannot offer any answers, I thought I would just share with you that I have a chooks with the same symptoms, and she is still going strong at 4 years old!!

Hi!

Thanks for your response. It's good to hear that I am not alone.

After giving my hen some cat/dog mite ear drops for 5 days and giving her lots of vitamin B Complex (human kind!) and E for the same amount of time, she has not walked backwards again.

When I went to the pet shop to get the drops, they did not have any as they had sold out twice in a row - it made me wonder even more if she'd picked up some bugs that are around at the moment.

Anyway - thanks again for your reply and all the best with your girls.