angeluk69 Posted May 24, 2012 Share Posted May 24, 2012 I've noticed over the last few days my compost bin absolutely HONKS! My OH put some grass cuttings in and ever since its been really stinky and it's all I can smell, even in the house. Is there anything I can add to it to try and reduce the smell????? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 24, 2012 Share Posted May 24, 2012 I would hazard a guess that it's too wet - grass cuttings have a lot of moisture in. Try stirring in some shredded paper or some drier ingredients. Mixing up the wet stuff with the compost underneath should help, as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 24, 2012 Share Posted May 24, 2012 I agree, it needs a bit of 'brown' material mixed in so shredded cardboard, paper etc.. should do the trick Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 24, 2012 Share Posted May 24, 2012 Yup, stick some Aubiose from the chickens run on it and mix it well - that'll dry it out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angeluk69 Posted May 24, 2012 Author Share Posted May 24, 2012 Going to wait for it to cool down this evening and then add some browns, thanks everyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 24, 2012 Share Posted May 24, 2012 If you can, it's best to take some out and work it in in layers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...