kissinuk Posted May 26, 2012 Share Posted May 26, 2012 Sadly my daughters chicken died this week, the vet said she had a lump in her stomach. This now leaves us with only one amber free ranging outside of her eglu run looking lonely Before I make another trip to Heidis Happy Hens to buy 2 more I need a temporary house to start the introductions. Anyone have any tips? A local place has a small ark which would be okay, but it was £59 (I would pay this if need be). I was thinking of splitting off 1m of the 3m eglu run with canes and attaching a small ark to the other side (leaving the end of the ark open). Has anyone made their own coop/ark for introductions? Or have a better solution? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cavs cats n chicks Posted May 26, 2012 Share Posted May 26, 2012 I bought a plastic dog kennel, put a plastic box inside with paper and straw, just the job for my new chicks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted May 26, 2012 Share Posted May 26, 2012 dog crate argos? about £25. I have various sky kennels/crates. got from freecycle, or rspca shops Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 26, 2012 Share Posted May 26, 2012 I use a cheap plastic pet carrier (about £20). It does the job fine for temporary accommodation. I put spare roosting bars in and a bit of bedding and they seem quite happy . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 27, 2012 Share Posted May 27, 2012 A pet carrier will be fine for the sleeping-quarters, the run is usually more problematic but a dog crate will do if they are supervised (not safe because the top is open), or if you can section off the Eglu run with garden canes or similar, then they can stay like that and just be popped into the pet carrier for nighttime. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted May 27, 2012 Share Posted May 27, 2012 Olly think you are confusing dog crate for puppy playpen, a crate is fully enclosed with a door/gate. but would need some covers to make cosy/coop like A play pen is pretty unsafe unless as you say supervised as dead easy for a fox to pull over, even if someone put a mesh cover over it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cavs cats n chicks Posted May 27, 2012 Share Posted May 27, 2012 Dont know how to do pictures. I have a plastic dog kennel as I said, this is closed at night with a heavy wedged paving slab. This is inside a baby dan play pen with weighted trellis on top. We are home during the day and where it is would be very difficult for a fox to get to. I feel sure in my own mind that even a very determined fox would not break in a night, but I guess we can only ever do our best Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kissinuk Posted May 27, 2012 Author Share Posted May 27, 2012 Thanks for the tips, I do have a couple of pet carriers so will use one of them with my old wooden eglu roosting bars. I may try to make an ark like run for it too and attach that to the caned off eglu run (as they will only have 1m of the run). What do you usually cover the pet carriers with at night? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...