redsunset Posted June 4, 2012 Share Posted June 4, 2012 Hello, I'm not sure if I have a poorly chicken or not? My Light Sussex hybrid seems to be sleeping a lot today (and a bit yesterday) and hiding her head under her wing? They are all free ranging in my garden and tried to catch her tonight with no success She has been sleeping a lot today, apart from the flock which are all very happy. Tried to catch her but scooted into the co-op at 9.30pm. Think it might be an impacted crop. Is this possible with a chicken I've only had a week? Fed layers pellets & layers mash (with a few dried mealworms)?? Thank you for any response. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted June 4, 2012 Share Posted June 4, 2012 It's possible but unlikely ... if she isn't joining in with the other girls, though, she is not quite right. How old are they? Are the others all in good health? I would keep an eye on her, if she's still poorly tomorrow then you may need to seek advice, it's hard to tell what could be wrong but if they are brand new I would be inclined to ring the breeder/supplier and let them know. Welcome to the forum, by the way! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redsunset Posted June 4, 2012 Author Share Posted June 4, 2012 Thank you for your reply. She is with the rest of the group (5) most of the time and I bought them at POL over a week ago. All new to me so far but have done lots of reading up here. Will check tomorrow am and if still the same, then vet will be in order. I know I've only had chickens for a wek but have got so attached to them already and they come running when I do the chook-chook call. Took a wk of work while I settled them in so devastating to think one might be ill already. Will check in the am and if still same by lunchtime, vet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted June 5, 2012 Share Posted June 5, 2012 Welcome to the forum She might be just settling in if only a week ,it does take some longer than others. Also this time of the year when they are out for a lot longer she could be just taking a nap.If they are all out from say 7 - 9.30 then I would want a nap if I was a chicken. One of my girls Poppy does this on some days and she is fine. Hope all is well today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redsunset Posted June 5, 2012 Author Share Posted June 5, 2012 Morning, delighted to say all appears normal today. Lady Sussex as I call her is fine. Eating and drinking so guess she was just having a lazy day or two. Lovely Scottish midges are out in force this am and chooks not impressed! Thank you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted June 5, 2012 Share Posted June 5, 2012 could be that she had a softie(soft shelled egg) on the way they do make hens extremly miserable Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kazzy73 Posted June 5, 2012 Share Posted June 5, 2012 I have two light sussex and one of them is very lazy compared to the other,she is a big girl and hates the heat pants alot,I have had them over a year and she has always been like it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redsunset Posted June 5, 2012 Author Share Posted June 5, 2012 Thank you to all who replied. I have come to the conclusion that Lady Sussex just likes to potter at her own pace and chills a lot. Never thought of a softie egg as none of them have laid yet (waiting patiently and know it could be some time although they are good sized hens) Combs are all red and some still very small yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...