Hi all, my aviary panels are arriving on Friday for my WIR, and i initially put down Bark Chips for my chicken area, which i now realise may have been a poor decision (oh well we learn!). So anyhoo, I will be having my original wooden coop in the WIR which does have a certain amount of cover and everything under this is dry when it rains. However at the moment I cannot afford to put a corduline roof on but need some ideas for the run floor until such a time that I can afford to fully cover it.

Now could I carry on with the chips for the time being and replace once Ive got a cover with wood chips (bearing in mind it is quite and exposed space anyway) or do I need to change asap? the girls seem quite happy with a small smattering of chips as they can still kick it about while each week i give it a little dig over and stalosan it and dig in a bit of grit for good measure.

Its all a bit confusing still

Hard wood chips are fine in the wet and dry - I also rake mine over once a week and sprinkle with salosan and change every 4/6 months or so. The girls love kicking it all round and out the sides! :wall:

Good luck on Friday - its great building a WIR! :dance:

My hens are more or less on bare earth - sawdust, woodchip and aubiose get added from time to time, and then the whole thing is dug over. They like to have a bit of something to scratch in, so I think the set-up you have described sounds fine.

Well i would stay away from woodchip. It never worked for me - just got wet and stuck together and caused a

solid mess. I would suggest if you do use it to spend time regularly taking some out and putting new stuff in

and breaking it up.