munkee1965

Hermann Cake

I really fancy having a go at making a Hermann (Friendship Cake).

Has anyone made them? Are they easy to do and how do I get started?

I'll post you a starter. Someone gave me a Herman recently and I couldn't get rid of any of the starter when it came to the give away day. Got a freezer full of the blinkin stuff now :roll::lol: (Mind you it does make a nice cake, so it will get used eventually, provided I can find the instructions again that is!)

I just made a Hermann cake. Well, two Hermann cakes, as I had some starter I couldn't give away..! I did one with the standard ingredients on the instructions (i.e apple and dried fruit etc..) and found a recipe online for a Toffee and Pecan Hermann which I've tried too. It's looking good so far, although I had to cook it for 20 mins longer than the recipe said.

Looks like I'll be popular at the office tomorrow, as there's no way we'll get through 2 cakes at home :)

I really fancy having a go at making a Hermann (Friendship Cake).

Has anyone made them? Are they easy to do and how do I get started?

I'll post you a starter. Someone gave me a Herman recently and I couldn't get rid of any of the starter when it came to the give away day. Got a freezer full of the blinkin stuff now :roll::lol: (Mind you it does make a nice cake, so it will get used eventually, provided I can find the instructions again that is!)

So it is ok just to put spare start in the freezer, take out and defrost, put the extra final ingredients in and bake? Mine is due this weekend, but not enought people about this weekend to pass onto. Also, I am not allowed to eat yeast and hubbie away so he wont be around to eat it, wanted to delay it a bit! He is back on Monday, wondering whether i can jsut let some hang around until then.