batcatz

maybe a duck and drake?

Hi, ducklings will be a week old tomorrow and I am beginning to tell the difference between them. One has a bigger head and feet and might be a drake. This smaller one is a little shy too. So I think I have a duck and drake! I know it's too soon to sex, but I like to guess!

Can they live together when they are older as they might be related? Eggs were bought from Dragon Poultry ebay so I have no idea how many drakes or ducks were running together. I know 2 ducks and 1 drake or 2 ducks are the best scenario, but might not have room for 3 ducks and 3 chooks. I do want to hatch some more ducklings next year though!!

They should be fine together and you can hatch from related ducks they are not like chickens and have to be unrelated i have hatched brother to sister well not a defo as like you dont know if my batch had the same parents if you know what i mean as they were from a big farm flock of indian runners with a lot of ducks and drakes you will have to wait and see about sex you can normally tell by 8 weeks leanne :)

That's good, Leanne! Oh I hope it's a drake and duck. Fingers crossed! I will be sad if it's 2 drakes as one may have to be rehomed - but only if they turn nasty. I want eggs to eat and hatch!

They are one week old today and it's about the third time I've given them spinach in a tray of warm water. As soon as they saw it they cheeped so loud and came running to me. They ate it out of my hands. I am getting attached to them.