GemmyLou-07

Ducks behaviour

Hi I hatched out 3 miniature apple yards that are now 10 weeks old, at first they were living in a little pen in my house but a few weeks ago I put them out into there coop and run, I have one particular duck that keeps charging for me n biting me leaving blood blisters.. Could there be a particular reason for this behaviour? Not sure on the sexes yet.

Also that same duck seems to have a wheeze.. Do I take it too the vet? Its still running around, swimming and eating.

Thanks Gemma

Hi i think you may have yourself a drake i find the more tame you get your ducks the drakes become quite nasty and it hurts when they nip you and as yet have never found a way to stop this behaviour my parents even had a hand tame drake called nike and he would bite you through your jeans everytime you went out the garden also the drakes have a raspy voice so if hes eating and drinking i wouldnt bother with the vets leanne :)

Hi, just a question about drakes and their behaviour I have four drakes, mine are 11 weeks so only a week older than gemmas (white duck)(duck) as yet I havent had any nasty behaviour should I expect it? Also I know I cant keep them all as have only two ducks any suggestions? Ive been told drakes can live happily together without ducks would they still be bit bitey?

Many thanks

Karen :)

Okay thank you for your reply, I have two ducks that have raspy quacks does that mean I could have two drakes then? Although the other one isn't being nasty /: my 3rd one has a squeaky quack. The one that attacks me Sounds like a donkey but it isn't when he quacks /: could that be wheezing? Ye he's still eating and drinking so I'm not too worried :)

If I do have two drakes and one duck does that mean il have to either rehome one drake or get another female?

Hi Karen and Gemmylou it depends on the drake some are fine some do become nasty my drake was fine until breeding season then he would wait for me to walk down the garden and charge head down to tell me to go away the funny thing was i would always hear his little feet coming on the path and would turn straight around open my arms and walk straight towards him without backing down he would then run away it only lasted about a year and as he got older he has calmed down he is now 6 he still trys it sometimes i just ignore him and he never bites.Drakes can live happily together without females but not sure if they were put in a seperate pen and could see and hear the girls also it is best to have just one drake unless you have loads of room for a lot of girls i did at one point have 2 drakes with 10 girls but i just couldnt stand the fighting they would try and drown each other in the pond so rehomed one group and they were freerange in a 50ftx100ft garden all you can do is wait and see what they are like you cant have 2 drakes to one duck they will batter her in breeding season leanne :)

Thank you for your help.

Im planning on getting anoter duck.

Iv attached a picture of my ducks can you please tell me what you think?

The two with the same colouring i think are drakes and the brown one i thinks a duck but it is starting to go lighter

photo.php?fbid=10151983871785346&set=a.10150710956860346.699841.602555345&type=1&theater

Not sure on how to put pics on but iv tried /:

Gemma :)

My drake didnt get his curly tail feather until he was about a year so i dont bother going by that to sex them also they switch from growers to layers at about 14/16 weeks and they should lay by about 26 weeks this is just a rough guess as all ducks are different i cant see your photos leanne :)