Suzy Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 Hi, My 3 year old ex batt has stopped eating, is very subdued and not herself. It took ages before I could catch her after her free range but when I did she struggled loads. Having a feel, her crop feels full but not full of food, it feels sort of lumpy. I've googled sour crop and impacted crop and that I need to hold her up side down and make her sick. I am nervous about doing this to her, especially as I am not sure this is what is wrong with her. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? It's been 2 days now and although she doesn't lay anymore she is a lovely little hen and I don't want to distress her (hold her upside down!) unnecessarily. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Suzy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 Diagnose is what the vets do but we can all make helpful suggestions. Her crop ought to have something in it in the day time and I would suggest that having trouble catching her is a good sign. You will need yto check her crop first thing in the morning before she has access to food . It aught to be empty or very nearly. 3 years is jolly good for an ex batty , well done. Is she still laying as they eat a heck of a lot less when they are NOT laying... Has she been wormed, just that mine were a few weeks ago and needed to again, this weather is great for worms breeding. let us know how she is in the morning... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Suzy Posted August 6, 2012 Author Share Posted August 6, 2012 Thanks Sandy. I don't think she has eaten today so not sure the crop having stuff in it means much. She has access to food from when she gets up as at the moment we are leaving the door of the Eglu open as ther are 4 of them in there so I worry they would get too hot. I will check her when I go and give her her breakfast though. She isn't laying anymore and hasn't for about 6 months. She came to us very young. The farmer was retiring so clearing out all his sheds so we got some older girls and newer girls. Jo was definitely the youngest. Not sure she was ever 6 months so she has spent most of her life outside of the cage. If she is no better tomorrow morning, I will take her to the vets after work. Will keep you posted. Thanks Suzy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 take the food out tonight, just so you can be sure. Know what you mean about too warm for 4,,, cosy in the winter, tho.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 7, 2012 Share Posted August 7, 2012 just wondering how she is today? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Suzy Posted August 9, 2012 Author Share Posted August 9, 2012 Hi, sorry for not updating sooner. We took her to the vet and it isn't sourcrop, but it wasn't clear what it was. We came back with antibiotics which don't seem to have done much and she is very subdued. What hasn't helped is Hero (head hen) has now started bullying her which is very hard to watch and you end up disciplining a chicken. DH thinks I am insane for telling her off. So sadly I think tomorrow will be another visit to the vets.... Sadly a one way trip for the lovely little Jo..... Thanks for asking.... Suzy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted August 10, 2012 Share Posted August 10, 2012 Oh I'm sorry. Have you tried maggots to clear the blockage? Can you isolate her? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted August 10, 2012 Share Posted August 10, 2012 I wonder if you are focusing on the crop when the problem could be elsewhere. Does her abdomen appear swollen or tight at all? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Suzy Posted August 10, 2012 Author Share Posted August 10, 2012 Just back from the vets. She hadn't left the Eglu all day and couldn't stand. Vet said her crop was full of fluid and her abdomen was distended so there was more going on inside than we could see. He said she probably wasn't in pain and I don't think she was to be fair. She went very quickly so am happy she is now running around chook heaven with her flock of friends. She did well for an ex-batt. 2 years 4 months with me. Doesn't stop me feeling utterly miserable though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted August 10, 2012 Share Posted August 10, 2012 Sorry to hear your sad news - I had to have one of my ex batts PTS with similar symptoms yesterday, so know how you are feeling. At least our departed girls had a chance at a normal life, and your girl had a lovely long time with you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted August 10, 2012 Share Posted August 10, 2012 So sorry to read your post Suzy. Well done for taking such good care of her tho'. Alli x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted August 12, 2012 Share Posted August 12, 2012 I am sorry to hear that. I am sure she had a lovely retirement with you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 12, 2012 Share Posted August 12, 2012 hugs x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...