stu Posted August 17, 2012 Share Posted August 17, 2012 Hello. Apologies of this has been asked before (I can't find it... only this: http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62544). When giving the birds Flubenvet... is it more important that they get just the 7 days or that they get a total dose? I have mine mixed and ready to give, and looked online for average weights eaten by hens and discovered something like between 150-200g per bird per day. Basically... I don't think my hens eat that much (even without scratching and treats). This would be in the region of 4Kg in total... There's a lot of advice about just making more if they eat it all before the 7 days, but not if they don't... so, how do I proceed? Just feed 7 days, regardless of how much they have eaten and have faith that they ate the right amount for their body mass? Am I missing something obvious here? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cyclonetog Posted August 17, 2012 Share Posted August 17, 2012 I just make up a couple of kilos and see how they get on, and stop all other feed for the week. If I need to make another kilo up to last the week then I do. After the 7 days is up I just go back to normal, if there is a little bit of treated feed left I just let them finish it, can't hurt. I think the idea of mixing it is that they get the correct % treatment for the amount they eat, however much that happens to be. Easier than say a certain dose for a certain weight of bird etc. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs_B Posted August 17, 2012 Share Posted August 17, 2012 I made up 7 days worth of feed with Flubenvet and also thought it was much more than what I needed, but the chickens actually ate almost all of it. I only had a small amount left after 7 days, but I threw it away, I am sure it would've been OK but as far as I knew feeding them the 7 days was the more important factor. Hope this helps! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stu Posted August 17, 2012 Author Share Posted August 17, 2012 These both help, thank you. It makes sense that the 7 days is the most useful measure, but sometimes, it's just better to hear what people say rather than it being just in my head... if that makes sense? Now I just have to deal with the bad mood as I approach with only proper food and no treats. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 17, 2012 Share Posted August 17, 2012 They take in the appropriate dose, as they eat according to their weight and age. Just give them the doctored pellets for the seven days, and you will get it right. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stu Posted August 17, 2012 Author Share Posted August 17, 2012 ...and thanks too. I will do exactly that, and feeling a little more reassured. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sim Posted August 20, 2012 Share Posted August 20, 2012 Mine don't eat anywhere near that much either, and I always keep them in their (smallish) run for worming. As a said, they eat what they need for their bodyweight. Don't worry, they'll sort themselves out! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stu Posted August 21, 2012 Author Share Posted August 21, 2012 It's interesting... at three days into their worming week, they have eaten about 4/5ths of the predicted amounts they should, but that would figure okay as they still get out to scratch about a little. Overall though, I think they will easily manage to dose effectively, but I will have to make up another batch of the wormer, which (procedurally) leaves me 'psychologically' itchy, to see them through the full week. I don't want to seem pedantic, but I either need two more hens or a 36/72g tub of wormer to increase my worming efficiency Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...