savena5630

Will I ever have any eggs?

So I've had my chickens for 20 weeks now - they are 23 weeks and 21 weeks old. No sign of an egg at all. I have 3 hybrid (half RIR half silkie hens) and one rooster (obviously I know he wont be giving me any eggs!).

I contacted the breeder who told me that his chickens from the same time have started laying.

They live in an Eglu Go, !gogreen! and seem content. They all have red combs and wattles, and have been pecking at the Laying Pellets - although they seem to prefer every other kind of food I give them (corn, fresh vegetables, meal worms etc).

I'm worried because I've seen a fox jump on top of their run a couple of times and I'm worried that this may be causing them stress, and hence no eggs :(

Any ideas of what I can do?

Thank you!

I wouldn't focus on how old they are and that they arent laying yet... I got 2 new hens at the end of July and one still isn't laying, and one that I got in May only started laying a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I would do is limit the amount of treats, they will always go for the treats rather than food so only give them at the very end of the day...my 8 girls are given a couple of handfuls of scratching seed mixed with a smal amount of corn only a couple of times a week, and sometimes get the odd cabbage or greens from the garden, depending on whats being pulled up in the veg patch.

Don't worry too much