KeithT Posted September 24, 2012 Share Posted September 24, 2012 My Eglu is around 5yrs old. I have known for a long time that water leaks into the litter tray but recently I have been finding the nesting area saturated. It seems that the water is penetrating along the latch spindle. In the current weather it is soggy within minutes! Has anyone else experienced this and are there any ideas for resolving it? I haven't tried to remove the latch handle as yet but I wondered if there was a sealing washer which has collapsed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christyrose12 Posted November 2, 2012 Share Posted November 2, 2012 Hi. I have only had my eglu for 10 days but noticed that it seems damp in there. Condensation maybe? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted November 2, 2012 Share Posted November 2, 2012 Is the drain hole in the top clear? I found that I had damp in the nest box when that had bits in it. Also I've had to tweek the screws that hold the side on but be careful to put the small black piece of flat rubber back in the right position. Or have you blocked any of the air vents up or covered them with tarpaulin? Might be worth a look. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christyrose12 Posted November 2, 2012 Share Posted November 2, 2012 What is the drain hole in the top? Do you mean the one in the nest box? I put a sheet of newspaper in it and some sawdust but I think the newspaper is useless as it alway seems to have been pulled out by the morning. But if I just stick shavings in then they fall out of the hole.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted November 4, 2012 Share Posted November 4, 2012 Nope there's a channel either side of the roof panel and at the end nearest the back there's a little hole that sometimes gets straw and bits in it. I wedge a slice of foam kneeler cushion or currently a half a flip flop in the nest box hole. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted November 4, 2012 Share Posted November 4, 2012 Nope there's a channel either side of the roof panel and at the end nearest the back there's a little hole that sometimes gets straw and bits in it. I wedge a slice of foam kneeler cushion or currently a half a flip flop in the nest box hole. Is the eglu or a cube you are talking about? pops out to study back of eglu... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted November 7, 2012 Share Posted November 7, 2012 Cube, sorry I should have been paying attention to your original query. Didn't mean to confuse you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 8, 2012 Share Posted November 8, 2012 What is the drain hole in the top? Do you mean the one in the nest box? I put a sheet of newspaper in it and some sawdust but I think the newspaper is useless as it alway seems to have been pulled out by the morning. But if I just stick shavings in then they fall out of the hole.... I'd avoid newspaper as that will draw damp in towards it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...