BuryFCA1 Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Please help me identify the sex, age, type of bird, health please? http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/user/BuryFCA1/media/Gertrude2_zps047e2845.jpg.html#/user/BuryFCA1/media/Gertrude2_zps047e2845.jpg.html?&_suid=134981104499709784196509947527 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 They look like hybrids maybe warren types and I think I saw a welsummer hen too. You have one cockerel definitely and the rest look like point of lay hens I think. They look healthy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BuryFCA1 Posted October 9, 2012 Author Share Posted October 9, 2012 Is that definitely a cockerel? Will he get the hens pregnant then and start waking the neighbours up at a ridiculous time? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Yes I think so sorry If the hens are laying then their eggs will be fertilised so if incubated or put under a broody they should hatch into chicks. I'm surprised he isn't crowing already as looks as if he should be so you can expect crowing from him yes. Was he sold to you as a hen? If so I would talk to the breeder. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
good_egg Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Links just take you to general page. Not an expert but the girls all look good - agree there is a welsummer looking one in the group/shed pic. Also agree pic 9/10 is a boy! I see you posted elsewhere they were all laying and have stopped - was this with you? They dont look very old so wouldn't have thought been laying for long. Perhaps they are pure breed cross as opposed to hybrid and the short days are getting to them or they are coming into moult? Think you said you've checked for mite and have wormed (flubenvet? If not need to do). Mr Roo will fertilise eggs but they are still fine to eat. Might be a noisy boy, surprised he hasn't tried already - how long have you had him? If he is quiet then he will keep all the girls in line - I'd love to have a boy but have enough issues persuading neighbours I can have girls! Hope they start laying again soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BuryFCA1 Posted October 9, 2012 Author Share Posted October 9, 2012 Thanks all. Kepp suggestions coming please. Yes he was sold to me as a girl so I need to discuss that with the seller. I have noticed that he keeps the others in line however no nise from him yet and if there were then the neighbours would have said something and they have not said a word. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Definitely a cockerel. The tail, hackle and saddle feathers say it all I'm afraid. Will he get the hens pregnant ... He will certainly fertilise their eggs ... but a pregnant hen have yet to see! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Some cockerels can take longer than others to finally crow but judging by his comb and tail I wouldn't think it would be long. Hope it all gets sorted out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...