christyrose12 Posted October 22, 2012 Share Posted October 22, 2012 I picked up my new chickens yesterday. I have 2 that are 24 weeks and 1 that is 12 weeks. I have got layers pellets for them. Should the 12 week old one be on another food as she is still growing or is she okay eating the layers pellets? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted October 22, 2012 Share Posted October 22, 2012 Welcome to the forum I would feed them growers pellets not layers as the young one is too young to be on layers and the growers pellets will be ok for the older ones. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christyrose12 Posted October 22, 2012 Author Share Posted October 22, 2012 Thank you. At what age shall I put the youngest onto layers? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 22, 2012 Share Posted October 22, 2012 Feed them all growers pellets for now If the youngest is a pure breed keep her on growers till the spring, she will need all the help she can get with growing during the darker, colder months (thats why ideally chicks are hatched in March, April time so they have the benefit of long daylight hours to grow optimumly) If she is a hybrid put her on growers around the 18 week mark as they mature so much quicker Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christyrose12 Posted October 23, 2012 Author Share Posted October 23, 2012 Shes a blue orpington. I didnt think about that when I got her. I will go out and get some growers pellets for them. Shes great at seeking out worms though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 23, 2012 Share Posted October 23, 2012 Orps take an age to mature at the best of times let alone over the winter when day light is in short supply The other two will also be fine on growers pellets, I would personally leave them all on growers until March if you can Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christyrose12 Posted October 23, 2012 Author Share Posted October 23, 2012 Thanks Redwing. Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to build her up for the winter? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...