Mercedes55

Lost one of our pure breeds

Today OH took our Lavender Araucana to the vets as she had been under the weather for the last few days. I'm at a loss as the vet could find nothing wrong with her other than she had lost half her body weight since the vet last saw her. She felt she was too weak to save and felt it was kindest to have her PTS. I know as a pure breed she most likely hadn't been vaccinated and wondered if she had got some illness from being a pure breed, but quite honestly I don't know enough about hens to know if that would make any difference. She was only about 2½yrs old, which is not old for a pure breed. I really feel I have let her down by not realising sooner that she was sick :cry:

I am so sorry for your loss today - it is very tough and I feel for you. But, as you say, the vet was at a loss as to what was wrong, so you didn't stand much of a chance of doing anything earlier than you did, as there obviously weren't any signs other than the body weight. Depending on how puffed up their feathers are, this is something that often catches us out. I am sure you will have read so many times that chickens hide their illnesses so that the others don't attack. When you did think there was something wrong, you acted straight away, so don't be hard on yourself, you haven't done anything wrong and she obviously had a wonderful life with you.

Oh I feel for you! I had a similar experience earlier this year with a lav pekin who had an impacted crop. By the time I'd realized something was up and took her to the vet she also was so weak the vet advised I have her PTS. :( She wasn't quite a year old. I too felt bad as I had only been keeping chickens for about 6 months then.

But I'm sure your hen was happy and araucanas are supposed to be very hardy (have done some research as hoping to get 2 bantam girls) So probably she had an internal problem. The vet said with my pekin even if they had been able to help her, the problem would probably have reoccurred at some point.

At least they were PTS and didn't suffer. I had some lovely cuddles with Mary the night before we took her to the vet and she was top chook and a real character!!!

Hugs and best wishes

I had to have the second of my two lavender Araucanas pts a few months ago. You have my sympathies. :(

Unfortunately chooks are very good at hiding the fact that they are ill and often you don't spot it until they are really unwell.

You obviously did the right thing for her today.

What a shame, poor you. :(

You said above about pure breeds being vaccinated. In my experience it is hybrids that are more likely to be vaccinated as they are hatched in big lots (and vaccine can be sprayed/is available in bulk) whereas pure breeds may well not be - certainly none of my 4 are for that reason.