Mrs_B Posted January 9, 2013 Share Posted January 9, 2013 Over the last couple of weeks I've been giving my hens a good wash in the sink due to this horrible weather making them very dirty. I'm having a bit of an issue with one hen though - her feet and legs are being a bit troublesome when it comes to cleaning them! They are soaked in soapy warm water and I get all the mud off except what's built up inside the scales - I can't shift this and am worried about 'scrubbing' too much as I don't want to make the surface sore. The scales aren't flaky at all and aren't sticking out (if that makes sense!) Does anyone have any tips? Should I soak them for a bit longer? The others' legs/feet cleaned through fine, so just my Amber girl needs a little extra clean to clean out the persistent mud! Thanks all x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sue Posted January 9, 2013 Share Posted January 9, 2013 You try rubbing in something oily first to loosen it like coconut oil, then try scrubbing them. Hair shampoo might be better than washing up liquid which might be a bit drying - unless it is something like Ecover. A soft bristle nail brush should be ok as long as you are not to hard with the scrubbing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs_B Posted January 10, 2013 Author Share Posted January 10, 2013 Hi, Sue! Thanks for the reply I only use a small amount of washing up liquid because I worry about it drying out the feathers, but a small amount has been really useful getting out the wet mud! I am not rough on their leg/feet scales either because again, I worry too much, but the nail brush sounds like an excellent idea. I will give your suggestions a try - thank you, I really appreciate it x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted January 10, 2013 Share Posted January 10, 2013 Swarfega on a toothbrush will work wonders, slightly angle the brush so it goes under the edge of the scales If that doesnt work use a cocktail stick and run it under the edge of each scale very carefully, do this when the legs have been soaked and the scales are softer, dont poke too hard or dig at them. Its not half as scary as it sounds and is routine to me now, its surprisingly simple and easy to get a feel for it Whichever you do just take it steady! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...