counturchickens

1st. Day with ducks and a disaster....

I am distraught. Got our ducks today, went for a pair of East Indian ducks, and came back with a trio, so far so good. When we got them home, in the process of getting them into the wir one wandered into the garden. I didn't worry to much as it is secured for the hens, so put the other 2 in the wir. The last one the scooted through a hole in the fence, across the field behind our house and into the nearby river. Gone! We've spent most of the afternoon searching for her but no sign. She was only with us a matter of seconds, so I can't even hope she'll find her way back. I can't believe I was so irresponsible, I am beside myself.

To add to this, the remaining boy and girl are very nervous, they are last years hatch, and haven't had much human contact. Chickens were not impressed With the new arrivals either, have spent the afternoon wandering around squaking and won't go in the wir. So for now the ducks have been moved into our spare run and house whilst we all calm down and get them less scared, I don't want a repeat of today's incident.

Thanks for the kind words. Tom and Barbara are slightly better today, but I won't be letting them out until I've check over the garden for escape routes! I have been looking for the lost one again today. I had to be up really early for work, so I didn't sleep well anyway, but couldn't get back to sleep worrying about her. When I got home tramped up and down the river bank in the snow squalls looking for her, like a demented woman! I worried she is still alive and struggling.