Donnie

Converting a kids wooden playhouse for Indian Runners?

OK, I was originally thinking of having a few runners in an eglu classic but have decided against this thanks to some help on this forum.

So, I have a wooden playhouse which is identical to this other than there is no side window.

88325d72-6a57-4e4c-be98-68489cf6d66f.jpg

Also mines missing the small porch as to be fair its about 10 years old. I was going to bin it as I've used it to store bits in over the years since the kids dont use it anymore but it's in pretty good nick, ie there's no rot etc and its sturdy.

The only thing wrong with its the door and windows, ie the windows were made of a hard plastic that simply went brittle after about 5 years so they were replaced with thick plastic sheeting like you'd see on a polytunnel and the bottom of the door has 2 bits of wood missing.

thing is, that whole front panel (door and windows) unscrews in one go and Im wondering about flipping it and refitting it upside down. I know that seems odd but it would put the window you see on the picture on the floor so all I have to do is simply move the hinge so it acts as a door and opens sideways. The large door could be left as is, ie window at the bottom or I could flip it and refit the right way round easily enough.

Also, Id have do think of either adding some form of mesh on the inside of the current windows for security or board over some of it to make it fox proof.

Then I'd have a nice secure house for runners.

What do people think? Is there any reason NOT to do this?

My indian runners live in my daughters wendy house that is 20 years old i boarded all the windows up put a few vents in just make sure there are no holes that rats can fit through and i did replace the floor with concrete as ducks make the house quite wet but you dont have to do this you could put it on some slabs i cover the floor with a layer of shavings and a thick layer of straw leanne :)

Thanks Leanne, good idea re the slabs, I have some of them in the back yard that I can use for exactly that! :D

2 things though.

1. did you completely board up the windows? so you couldn't see in the house without opening the door?

2. I was wondering about vents as there is one already, ie only a small one though. Any thoughts on vents or recommendations? I was wondering if a couple of these would do in opposite walls to get some decent air flow?

I lied :D:D

3. Dont suppose you have a piccie of your conversion you could post?

Yes i boarded them right up so theres no day light just aswell as my drake gets a bit frisky and the girls can be a bit gobby telling him to get lost at 11.30 at night this only happens once in a while plus if they could see daylight they may want letting out extra early my birds dont know any different all my houses are blacked out.For the vent holes just drill 4 holes down each side about the size of a tennis ball and then cover with some mesh so rats cant get in then you will get a good airflow going and no sorry i dont have any pics ive never posted any pics on here as i could never work out how to do it :lol: leanne :)