Weedy Patch

In the planning stage!

Hi all, we have kept chickens for many years now but have always wanted to keep a few ducks in the garden too. So now we're exploring this and trying to decide on a breed as well as doing tons of research about ducks in general. We do like Indian Runners but we're open to suggestions!

We have what we'd call a very large prefab shed/garage that's sitting empty, we wondered if this could be used as a duck shelter, with a large walk-in run attached to the outside. Suggestions and advice most welcome, we'd really like to get this right before getting to the next stage!

Many thanks

Ducks are a LOT messier than chickens, everything is always a bit damp and instead of scratching they filter through wet soil/compost with their beaks. Because of that I'm not sure a garage would work but maybe posting a photo will help?

I bought an eglu Go for my ducks 'cos its so easy to wash out the flat tray in the base :)

I love Call Ducks but they're a bit loud - Khaki Campbells (I have 3 really cute ducklings) or Aylesburys would be my next suggestions!

Weedy Patch what do you want your ducks for? Eggs, feathers, meat, to have cute waddlers about the garden, to mix with your hens?

I have Call Ducks as I wanted cute waddlers and they certainly are that. The girlies can be quite loud at first till they settle down (I've had my little girl for about 4 months now and having been quite noisy to start with she is now a quiet little soul) but the boys make no noise at all. Larger ducks can, as said above, be mucky mud spreaders, but my Call Ducks are extremely clean little beings, much cleaner than my chickens both in terms of poo and because they don't scratch.

Here they are

th_DucksPuddleSplash_2_16-10-12-1-1_zps0b1dfab9.jpg

and getting along with the chickens

th_DuckPuddlewithchickens_16-10-12.jpg

I found good books on ducks much harder to come by than books on chickens but found these three very helpful:

"Starting with Ducks" by Katie Thear

"Choosing and Keeping Ducks and Geese" by Liz Wright

"Keeping Ducks and Geese" by Chris & Mike Ashton