suzi

New to chickens.......cleaning regime for hen house please?

I am new to chicken keeping and have 4 x 6month old Bluebells.

I need advice on the best way to clean the house (and run),prevent red mites and lice please?

Also what are the following for and how do I use them?

Stalosan f, Diatom, Poultry Shield and Spice,

I have been told that adding Cider Vinegar to the water will help keep their back ends clean?One has orange,frothy runny poo and have ordered some Bokashi bran,how much do I use and what do I add it to? They have layers pellets,grit and garlic powder in the morning and a large handful of corn about 5pm ish.The breeder wormed them 6 weeks ago with Flubenvet (apparently).Claret has advised me to also get some Avipro,have just ordered some.

They preen themselves and dust bath an awful lot.Is this normal?

Is there anything else I need to know,use,look out for?

I want to look after them properly and am really worried about it!

Many thanks,

Suzi

I'm assuming you have an Eglu? If it's a wooden house, then different rules apply.

Eglus are easy to clean - get the hosepipe out, find an old scrubbing brush or buy a pot-cleaning brush, and use a few drops of Ecover washing-up liquid to clean everything in about ten minutes! Couldn't be easier.

Scrub the roosting-bars (it's easier if you buy a spare set so you can leave them to dry) and then I cover the ends of mine in Diatom powder. Shake a bit of Diatom around the rest of the Eglu, put the lid back on and it's done!

Diatom is for red mites and lice (I think) - you can put it in the dust-bath, or directly on the chooks as well to prevent lice.

Stalosan is also a lice/mite deterrent, and apparently it smells wonderful, it's on my 'must buy' list next time I am feeling flush! Can't tell you much more about that one, though.

Spice is a sort of tonic, you put it in their water or feed and it perks them up, I believe it's especially good if they are moulting.

Not sure about Poultry Shield - think that's also a lice/mite deterrent.

Dustbathing is absolutely normal - helps them to clean themselves.

I can't believe I've just answered all the above, it's amazing what you pick up from reading this website! Someone else who really knows about chickens will be along soon with some more answers, I'm sure. Don't worry too much, I was convinced I was going to kill my chickens through ignorance, but they are still going strong - and so will yours.

Wow, well done Olly! Surprising how quickly you pick it up isn't it? :lol:

Congratulations on your chooks Suzi, they sound lovely!

I agree with all that Olly has said above and I'm also not sure about the Poultry Shield. The apple cider vinegar is to deter internal parasites - it alters the chemistry of the gut making it a hostile environment for the nasties.

If you have a wooden chicken house you do need to be more vigilant with the cleaning and disinfecting as I believe the wood harbours red mite and makes it harder to eradicate.

All the best!

Suzi wrote:I have been told that adding Cider Vinegar to the water will help keep their back ends clean?One has orange,frothy runny poo and have ordered some Bokashi bran,how much do I use and what do I add it to?

I use cider vinegar in their water. I was told it helps prevent them from getting worms. But they hardly ever drink from their glug. :roll: They prefer rain water.

I use Bokashi Bran in their poo tray to help with the smell and I put it their feed.(5% of the weight of their feed.) Not sure how much they eat. Because it does tend to get left at the bottom. I think it mixes better with mash. :D

These links have some info, not saying this is neccesarily the best place to buy.....

Stalosan F is a powdered disinfectant

http://www.regencypoultry.com/shoparea.asp?p=d8f8de5c-6d97-44f8-9adc-29064b34917e

poultry shield is a cleaner/disinfectant and prevents mites/lice

http://www.regencypoultry.com/shoparea.asp?p=22ca89cc-7d79-45aa-9638-01c6e04c7185

The runny poo could just be from the stress of moving house

I put a small handful of bokashi into the feeder if they have the runs although there probably is supposed to be a certain percentage/amount.

Diatom physically destroys lice/mites organically, and can also help digestion if put in the food.

The spice is good for if they are moulting/ill as contains minerals.

I now use poultry shield to clean the eglu every month or so. If the inside of the eglu is particularly dirty I might clean in-between. I sprinkle a handful of stalosan around. As long as the product is safe for birds (e.g. pet bird/chicken cleaner or organic) it should be OK. Different people use different things.

I press diatom into a paste onto the edges of the roosting bars to stop mites. I've not had mites yet, although have had lice and cleaned the eglu and powdered/sprayed the birds each time.

Apple cider vinegar (cloudy e.g. for horses) is good for worms and cleansing the insides. It's hard to say if it works or not. Garlic again is supposed to reduce worms and helps the poo smell nicer.