beach chick

found 6 eggs in flowerbed!!!

I had my suspicions one of the girls was laying elsewhere, and this morning I caught her emerging from the day lilies - had a look, and found 6 eggs there!

questions:

I know they can only have been laid since Thursday, so I think they'll be ok to use?

and do I carry on letting her lay there, now I've found the place, or do I put a football or something there and hope she goes back to the nesting box? -or finds somewhere else, and I have to search the garden again...

the plot thickens... just went out to check on the girls, the Bluebell I thought was the dirty stop out is in the nesting box, the other 3 are sunbathing - and meanwhile there are 2 more eggs that I missed earlier in the daylilies!!! yet we've still been getting 3 in the nesting box every day...

I guess either I keep them all shut in till they've laid (which 4 big chooks in the standard run wont like), or I just hope that this is their preferred 'other' nest, and remember to keep an eye on it!

I had my suspicions yesterday, because after a couple of 4 egg days last week, I was only getting 3... (I know, nowt to complain about!) so I had a good hunt about in all the obvious places yesterday and found nothing. I will just have to keep my eyes open and make sure I keep checking!! :lol:

right, I think its time to get tough! when I let them out this morning 2 were in the nestbox and I thought the other 2 were queueing.... however, only 2 eggs in the nest - and none in the hideyhole I found yesterday or anywhere else I can find.

so tomorrow they can stay in til they've all laid!!

Mine are always laying 'garden eggs' Beach Chick - sometimes it takes me a while to find them - last week, I found a batch of 13 eggs inthe woodpile - deep inside :roll: I float tested them all, and they were all fresh and tasted delicious.

I've given up on trying to get them to lay in the nest box - they all lay at random times during the day, so I just need to trawl the garden when I haven't had many and see if I can find them.