Patricia W

Cat cystitis

For the last year, every time we go away our cat, Poppy, has developed cystitis. The vet has given me Cystophan and that clears it up. He now says that any time it recurs, just to phone up and I can have a repeat lot. However, reading up about it, it seems some people keep their cat on it all the time. We've just finished a course, so should I get some more and continue?

Anyone got any views or tips on cat cystitis? She has wet food.

You can keep cats on cystaid all the time. Sounds like your cat only gets cystitis through stress of you going on holiday. So maybe your cat only needs it for stressful times. Speak to your vet. Maybe other cats are male and get blocked so they are on it all the time?

You can keep your cat on cystopan all the time and as you don't need a prescription for it you can buy it online. Cystaid very aimilar as is cystease. Cystitis in cat can be stress related so installing a Feliway diffuser or Pet Remedy diffuser can help to prevent it. If your cat gets it only when you go away, you could plug one in a week before you go :wink: Taking your cat off dry food and feeding it wet food can make a big difference too.

I know I'm a bit late here but thought I'd offer another vote for the Feliway diffuser. I but mine via Amazon because it is cheaper. I'm a bit wary of plug ins (feliway or the air freshener variety) as I have heard that they are a frequent cause of house fires so we use ours on a timer so it comes on for an hour, off for an hour because I don't always remember to turn it off before I go out. I know thats not the advised way of using it but I thought I'd mention it (makes it last longer too). We have ours in the kitchen as it is the biggest throughfare with our cats and where I tend to find any dirty protests.