Saronne

How to introduce a dog to a house full of cats?

This is one that comes up regularly on the lurcher forum I frequent; there are some experts on there who have successfully introduced a dog to cats.

Any time you introduce a new dog to he house, it is good practice to keep it confined to a reduced area at first until it gets used to its surroundings and the house rules. Stair gates are good for this, and I keep my dogs in the kitchen with one when I am out. Keep the dog on the lead when it first meets the cats, and reward any good behaviour/responses

It'll be along haul, but that's a start.

As I speak, my cat and dog are lying on the floor side by side, but it did take a few months to get to that stage.

I would get a cage for the dog, and use it to control the interaction at first. That will give both sides an opportunity to weigh each other up and provide both cats and dog with some security. Then I think it's a case of gradual introductions with treats on hand to reward each for good behaviour. I'd gradually introduce them into the various rooms in the house, but in the early days, I think controlling where the dog can go, will make the cats feel safer.

But there is bound to be some hissing and spitting. That's good, because it shows the dog who is boss. However, do be careful that the cats don't injure the dogs with those claws. My sister's labrador puppy was clawed in the eye by her cat, and it took a while to heal.

So slowly does it.