heth1986

Is there a small (bantam) duck that lays fairly well?

As per the title really, I've kept chickens for the last few years but, following lots of tests, trial and error, we have discovered that my OH is allergic to chicken egg whites! He can have duck eggs though, and loves them. It's just silly.

So. I've decided that my legbars will move to my friends farm where he already has a few and I'm going to get a couple of ducks to supply OH with his eggs. I'm also contemplating having a couple of bantam hens to keep me ticking over with the odd chicken egg (i don't like duck eggs!) so that's why I'm wandering about the smaller ducks...

Is there a duck breed that lays well but one a bit smaller than indian runners or campbells?

Hi Ducks are seasonal layers so wont lay as well as chickens unless you get something like a khaki Campbell or cherry valley but as you have already said are to big call Ducks are lovely and small but are very noisy or miniature silver appleyards these can be vocal but not as loud as a call were you thinking of housing the bantams and Ducks together you can but i don't as Ducks are so messy leanne :)

Thanks Leanne, I was thinking about miniature appleyards but i just can't decide whether to take the plunge or not :think: I also can't find anyone who breeds them anywhere near me! I think they will probably free range together but have seperate coops, my run is fairly good mud wise.

Oh, decisions decisions!

Wee ducks free ranging with wee chooks is just fine so long as they do have separate houses (or the chooks will poo down on the unfortunate ducks at night). My call ducks are neat as neat can be and make much less mess than my chooks so don't worry about mess in free ranging conditions.

All you'll need for their swimming is a child's paddling pool of water (see pix) but be warned it does need to be regularly emptied and refreshed (I do mine daily) and this can be a real pain :roll:

th_Duckbath_27-07-13_zps53379df9.jpg

I used not to be sure about eating their eggs but found they were really delicious - yum yummy. However, as Leanne has said, ducks are seasonal layers and will also lay all over the place, not in a nice neat nest box :roll: They even drop them in their water :shock: