Rabbieboy

Bad timing.

We have 7 Shetland hen eggs and 3 RIR X Wyandotte eggs due to hatch any time soon and my partner has just called (I'm in Shetland working) to tell me she had a note in the post today to say the electric will be off for maintenance all day Wednesday. It's not much notice and what do we do about powering our incubator and brooder. This is our 1st attempt at incubating eggs and it all seems to be going wrong at the last minute. The woman over the road say's her friend could plug them in for the day but she lives about 15 minutes drive from us, would that be too long without heat?

We started with 3 brown eggs from my friends hens which are RIR x Wyandotte females and a RIR cockerel and we have 7 blue eggs from the Shetland hens, I work up here but have never seen a Shetland hen in the flesh. One of the boys that work with me picked up 9 eggs from a friend but 2 eggs were damaged on the flight home, there is no sign of anything happening from the blue's but this is still only day 20. :)

Rab, are they large fowl or bantam Shetlands? Just curious as I enquired about Shetland eggs and was told they're mostly bantams up there and that large fowl were hard to get.(OH's son and his girlfriend are just home after teaching in Mid Yell and Unst for the last year).

They are the large ones (or so I'm told) the eggs are quite big , one of the locals my work mate is related to has a croft and is in to Shetland breeds. He has shetland lambs and I think he had some cattle at one time. He does have a few other hens but keeps the Shetland ones seperate.