mullethunter

Frantic wyandotte

Only had my girls 2 weeks and been on here worried twice already! Think I may be a bit over cautious, but...

One of my Wyandotte bantams (Amy) has been rushing around the garden, run and eglu for the last 3 hours looking as if she wants to lay but seems unhappy with any of the options. She goes into the nest box, kicks the bedding around a bit then comes back out again, then does the same in the Pekins cat box, and in the dust bath, just won't settle anywhere. She has laid in the eglu until now, roughly once every 3 or 4 days.

What do you think is going on?

Is she egg bound Mullethunter? Bit of a wild guess, but she clearly isn't happy for some reason. Check her vent because sometimes you can see her trying to force the egg out. I've found a bit of Vaseline inside the vent helps lubrication.

If it is that and the egg breaks on the way out the fragments of eggshell must be removed VERY carefully. There was a post recently of a hen dying suddenly, possibly due to bleeding from an eggshell cut.