patsylabrador

Francis, our little feral cat

He/she has been visiting our garden for years now. He has trained the chickens to ignore him(we think he looks like a he) and we've all watched each other. He has a place to sleep on some sandbags and a bowl of crunchy type catfood in the greenhouse. We think he lives on the tube embankment. If I'm cooking bacon he'll often be somewhere near the back door. But we can never get too close and have some quite scary photos of him in wildcat mode.

But tonight, he let me stroke his back. I got a bit over confident and tried to stroke behind his ears and got well and truly told off but still- progress!

Oh I love it when you can make progress like that! Good for Francis!

I got my cat iPoes from a shelter and couldn't pet her for months. Then I could only pet her upstairs. It took her three years to discover lying on my lap.

And since about a year or two she sleeps in my pillow and snuggles with me under the covers!

It starts with a stroke on the back, but if you want to entice him, you might want to try a brush. Like an ordinary human hair brush. Most cats can resist rubbing their heads on one.

Congratulations, that's real progress! Claudette wasn't feral when she came to me but she clearly had some history and I could only pick her up using gloves and regularly got raked just for walking past her. She wouldn't leave the spare room for months. Five years on and she comes up to be stroked, sits on my lap and purrs for England. It's well worth persevering - the hairbrush tip is a good one.