westo37

My gerbils won't use tubes!

Help,

We have two gerbils and bought them a new Qute home for Christmas but they won't use the tube between the living and tunnelling compartments. We've tried placing treats or fruit at the base if the tube to try and tempt them down but no luck. Any ideas please!!

I agree with posting the gerbils! We had two girl gerbils who needed gentle posting down the tube, we kept kept our hand over the top to ensure they went down. It only took a little while. Our current three boys mastered it very quickly.

Just a word of warning, if you have a cat beware that the Qute isn't cat proof as we sadly discovered. The gerbils are my sons and live in his room. In the summer, our cat got into my sons room through his velux, while he was asleep, she managed to prise open the wire door and killed both of his girls. He was deverstated (as was I). His new boy gerbils are still in the qute, but we now have a clip on the door which cannot be opened.

Thanks for the replies and tips. Will try the 'posting' method although we had a break through this morning after replacing the tube with a wooden ramp (which I'm sure they'll chew their way through!) I found them both in the bottom half having just placed them back in the top! Maybe they've finally figured it out!!

thanks again!