StephenW

Swollen eye on ISA Brown hybrid

Hi Guys,

My friend has recently bought a few ISA Brown Hbrid POL pullets but 1 or two of them have a swollen eye and I am not sure why so I was wondering if you could help and diagnose from a photo. Im not an expert and would appreciate any help.

I have put the picture of the bird below

IMG-20150302-WA00001.jpg

Many Thanks

Steve

The whole face colouring is wrong here Stephen. White tips on the comb, pale skin and a pale beak. The eyelid is pale also, accepting there may be some discharge. Never seen this before and suspect it is something major, so you need the opinion of a vet. If seen in our flock I would say heart problem and immediately PTS.

Given that your Pekin also has something wrong with her eyes, is it possible you could have transferred something nasty between your friends flock and your own?

I think you both need to get them to the vet asap and separate the obviously affected birds from the rest of the flock in case it is contagious.

Keep us posted and good luck.

The whole face colouring is wrong here Stephen. White tips on the comb, pale skin and a pale beak. The eyelid is pale also, accepting there may be some discharge. Never seen this before and suspect it is something major, so you need the opinion of a vet. If seen in our flock I would say heart problem and immediately PTS.

Gosh beantree I didn't even look past the eye, your right of course, very pale.......oh dear....

Thanks guys, I didnt realise it was this bad. I dont think I have transferred any thing because my hen had her eye condition a few weeks ago and my friends ISA brown was only bought a couple of weeks ago and they werent near each other.

I have got my friend to keep them away from the rest of the birds for now.

Many Thanks

Stephen