mullethunter

Has Smudgie been stung by a bee?

We've been away from home for a few days and my mum has been looking after the animals for us. When we came home, we thought Smudgie (cat) was limping a bit but put it down to a dead leg (happens to him quite often in his old age). However when he came through just now, I noticed one of his front paws is quite swollen. He let me squeeze it and it doesn't seem to hurt and isn't hot, and there's no wound that I can see. Then I remembered I'd seen a dead bee on the floor upstairs, and looking at it now I can't see its' sting.

Do you think it might've stung Smudgie (probably because he batted it) and that's caused the swelling? Has anyone seen this before?

Current plan is to see how it is tomorrow before taking him to the vet.

I don't think you can always see a bee's stinger, but I might be wrong here.

Cats can get stung too of course and this might be what happened. If he lets you handle it and it isn't hot, I would just wait and see. It might be a little sore, explaining his limping, but there isn't much else you can do. But in doubt, go to the vet.

It could be a bee sting, I agree with Cat tails that if he isn't bothered by you touching it, then it's worth waiting to see. If it is a bee sting, it should go down (or start to go down) by tomorrow so you may not need the vet.