mullethunter Posted May 5, 2015 Share Posted May 5, 2015 Yesterday Bernadette laid a tiny (even for her!) egg, then wouldn't leave the nest box. When I took the trays out to clean them she wondered about whining, then went straight back in and settled down when I put it back together. Broody cage time! I popped her in and despite the gale force winds that came up overnight I left her in there until I came home from work. When I went out she was really eager to get out of the cage and was making normal noises rather than grouchy broody swearing or clucking, so I thought maybe I'd got it wrong and she wasn't broody at all. So an hour or so before bed time I let her out.....she went straight to the nest I even thought well maybe she needs to lay an egg, so left her half an hour....no egg. I chucked her out and shut the Eglu door and she had some corn with the others but then went stamping round and round the Eglu looking for a way in! Eventually as it was getting dark I had to open the door so the other 3 could go to bed. I put a flower pot in the nest but Bernie went straight in to try to sit again. I went out to shut them into the run and lift Bernie onto the perch (I had decided to leave her in he Eglu tonight while he winds are gale force and put her back in the cage for 3 days from tomorrow) just after dark, but she was already on the perch between the other three! I don't get chickens Be interesting to see what he morning brings Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cat tails Posted May 5, 2015 Share Posted May 5, 2015 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mullethunter Posted May 6, 2015 Author Share Posted May 6, 2015 In the morning she was in the run with the others - sitting on a perch. But when I nipped home for lunch, she was...on the nest I've chucked her out and she's had a bit of hot cross bun (I know) and it'll be back in the broody cage until Saturday morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...