soapdragon

Qute for the smaller hamsters

I only have gerbils in the Qute and it took them quite some getting used too, but they are perfectly used to it.

I was visiting a friend who keeps gerbils in a gerbilarium (modified fish tank) and although they might have more space, I like the fact that mine have to option to be away from the other gerbil.

You could first just get a tube (from the pet shop) and see if he can scale that, before investing in a Qute.

I've kept rodents on and off, mostly on, for 20 years. Both dwarf varieties and larger ones. I personally would not put dwarf hamsters in a qute. I think they would struggle with the tube and you'd need the solid flooring for any type of hamster. There are better types of housing for dwarfs than that - try Zooplus.

I can see that gerbils might cope in a qute but I would never ever put a hamster in one.

The only reason that I had thought of a qute is that we are having a big re arrangement at home with bedrooms, sitting room and I thought that a qute would look better in terms of fitting in with the furniture.

Maybe I am being selfish and would be better off keeping Bob in his IMAC!

I do want to add that the new Qute has a solid floor aswell upstairs as down.

I have kept dwarf and regular hamsters in the past (in a very traditional cage) and none of the hamsters had problems with the wire cage and were very adapt at climbing. The only reservation I have with dwarfs and wire cages, is their escape abilities. My last dwarf regularly gave me the run around... :wall: